Quick and Easy Cheese Appetizers
We've collected a few creative yet simple appetizer recipes from a few of our sponsors that can be put together in very little time.
There are cheese and dried fruit canapes, a warm, herb marinated goat cheese and a baked brie with a honey creme center.
Jarlsberg Holiday Fruit Skewers
- 6 to 8 ounces Jarlsberg cheese, cut into small cubes
- 8 dried apricots
- 8 prunes
- 8 dried figs
- 24 cubes thin-sliced rye bread
Skewer in the following order: dried fruit, bread cube, Jarlsberg, bread cube, dried fruit.
Makes 12 skewers ~ recipe courtesy Jarlsberg Cheese
Warm Marinated Goat Cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 rosemary sprig, leaves removed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon black, white, green and pink peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, lightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces Woolwich Dairy Chevrai goat cheese, sliced into equal parts
- 1 French bread, sliced and toasted
Combine the garlic, herbs, peppercorns, mustard and fennel seeds and oil in a small bowl. Warm over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, then set aside for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse.
Arrange the goat cheese rounds on a platter and pour the marinade over them. Serve warm with French bread.
Makes 6 to 8 servings ~ recipe courtesy Woolwich Dairy
Layered Honey Creme and Brie Appetizer
Cut a round of Woolwich Triple Creme Goat Brie in half horizontally. Spread your favorite variety of Honey Ridge Farms Honey Crème and and a sprinkling of chopped toasted nuts between the layers.
Wrap in a sheet of puff pastry, trim the excess and place on a baking sheet.
Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve warm with toasted baguette slices.
Makes 8 to 10 servings ~ recipe courtesy Honey Ridge Farms
--- This feature appeared in the Holiday 2011 issue of ZEST